How to make a Shepherd's Pie Brit style, with USA ingredients.
- Carrots, sliced or diced depending on your preference.
- Frozen Peas, defrosted
- One Small Onion, finely chopped
- Minced Meat (Ground Beef)
- One sachet of McCormick Beef Stew Mix (In the UK, I would use OXO stock cubes, Bisto Browning Power & Celery Powder)
Before you begin, put your cooker on to pre-heat to 380.
- Peel, wash and split in smaller portions for quicker boil - Potatoes.
- Put them on to boil.
In a skillet (frying pan).
- Brown your meat.
- Add finely chopped onion and sliced carrots.
- Make the Stew Mix as per packet directions.
- Add Mix to meat, onion and carrot mix.
- Season with salt and pepper to preference.
- Simmer for ten minutes, or until sauce has thickened.
- Add peas and cook for a further two minutes.
- Transfere mixture to a 9 by 13 baking dish. You should leave 1/3 space for your potatoes.
Once your potatoes have boiled.
- Drain and add a small amount of milk and two table spoons of butter (more if you prefer creamier spuds).
- Mash until smooth but not sloppy.
- Spread the mash over your meat mixture.
Bake at 380 for 40 minutes.
- Add grated cheese on the top for a crunchy top.
- Alternatively, check out this BBC recipe for lamb version if you can find fresh, minced lamb - http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/shepherdspie_2077